Saturday, April 13, 2013

Revlon Lip Butters Swatches And Review: Strawberry Shortcake, Peach Parfait and Sweet Tart

I might possibly be the last person on the face of the earth to buy one of Revlon's Lip Butters, but thanks to Ulta's 40% off sale for Revlon, NYX, Almay and Physicians Formula this week, I am now the proud owner of multiple! Revlon's Lip Butters promise to moisturize while providing a lot of pigment. My lips are often chapped, and it drives me crazy when my lipsticks fade and accentuate any flaking I have going on. Even when I use lip balm prior, this still happens to me with some lipstick formulations. So, a pigmented lipstick with serious moisturizing properties is VERY appealing to me.

revlon lip butters
First, the packaging is so adorable. It's not terribly sturdy like my more expensive lip products, but is totally acceptable for drugstore makeup.
revlon lip butters strawberry shortcake peach parfait sweet tart

I chose three Lip Butters in Strawberry Shortcake, Peach Parfait, and Sweet Tart. I always tend to buy pinks, mostly on the lighter side, so Strawberry Shortcake looked like an obvious choice. Peach Parfait is a little out of my norm, but I have seen some great reviews on other blogs, so I figured I'd give it a go. Sweet Tart seemed a little punchier than my usual picks, and since these are supposed to be more sheer and less of a commitment than a traditional lipstick, I felt bold enough to try it out.

revlon lip butters strawberry shortcake peach parfait sweet tart swatch review
Top to bottom: Strawberry Shortcake, Peach Parfait, and Sweet Tart
revlon lip butter strawberry shortcake swatch
Strawberry Shortcake on my lips is a light, cool-toned pink with slight purple undertones. In some lights its true pink, kind of Barbie. It starts off sheer but is very buildable. This is about three swipes. I feel like the shine of it makes it more wearable than if the same color was in a traditional lipstick. It brightens up my face and I am so excited about this one!
revlon lip butter peach parfait swatch
Here we have Peach Parfait. It's a warm apricot with gold glitter, which you can slightly see in the shot. It really is a very respectable nude lip for those who don't want obvious corpse-nude lips but just a neutral lip to go with a heavier eye or cheeks or a generally toned down look. I find myself pulling for this when I used to pull for Rimmel's Nude Delight (or MAC Shygirl) but just want something a little less orange. For reference, this swatch is 2-3 swipes.

revlon lip butter sweet tart swatch
Finally, Sweet Tart! This one is so adorably bold. I think it is a bit more red in person but is just as bright in the photo. It is a reddish pink with cool undertones. I think this is a color I would be a little cautious or hesitant to wear in a traditional formula on a day to day basis, but again, this formula just makes it way more comfortable and wearable for me. This is the most pigmented of the bunch, but this is also a couple of swipes. This is a great pop of color with a simple look and I am really glad I took the plunge and picked it up! While you can't tell in this photo, this color does fade a bit to a more matte finish than the other two.

General Review: I think the Lip Butter formula ROCKS! They really are moisturizing. It is such a blessing to not have to always worry about lip prep when I want to wear a colored product. It takes the stress out of the weekday routine, for sure, because these don't accentuate dry patches (Sweet Tart does slightly after wearing off and I really feel like my lips are in better shape for having worn them for the past week.

The staying power on these are better than your average lip balm or gloss but do need to be reapplied every 3-4 hours and after eating/drinking. They are very comfortable to wear and are not sticky, gloopy, or thick on the lips like a lip gloss. They feel much more like a lip balm, but provide a really awesome shine in addition to their pigment.

On the whole, I am really thrilled I picked these up and I would definitely buy additional shades that catch my eye. Pick these up when you can, if you haven't already!

XO
Beauty Cents


No comments:

Post a Comment